Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2009

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice?!


My teenage daughter plays on a competitive girls soccer team. Last Sunday, they played a team whose players resembled younger versions of Elizabeth Lambert, the college soccer player who has been all over the news for pulling her opponent to the ground via pony tail. These girls were tough, and they wanted to win.

My daughters team, The Strikers, played smart and aggressive and ended up winning the game; however, the other teams complete lack of anything "girlie" made me think, "Can there be a balance between Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice; and Snakes, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails.

I do not want my girls being so competitive and aggressive that they would yank some girl to the ground, via pony tail, just to win a game; however, I don't want them to be so full of sweetness and niceness that they can't stand up for themselves when need be for fear of hurting someone's feelings. Or have any qualms about winning or even competing at a job, position, race or whatever because they don't want to hurt anyone.

I think that women have a lot to offer in all aspects of life not just the family life. I would love for my girls to do or be anything they want (YES INCLUDING PRESIDENT); but, just because it is a man's world does not mean we, as women, have to act like men to be CEOs, Presidents, Managers.

Now, I am not saying all men are ultra competitive and aggressive, but combativeness does seem to be a manly trait. Women tend to be a little softer.

So, all we have to do is learn to win the game, without yanking pony tails, and all will be right in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment